Breast Augmentation Operation
Get information about breast and breast augmentation aesthetics, breast augmentation prices, operation process, before and after aesthetic surgery and the healing process.
Today, breast augmentation is the most common aesthetic operation. Often due to pregnancy, breastfeeding and aging reasons, or in cases where the breasts cannot complete their development, the breasts cannot reach a sufficient size. With breast augmentation, small breasts become larger and fuller, and aesthetically more pleasant and beautiful. By placing natural materials made of silicone, which we call prosthesis or implant, under the breast tissue, the breast volume is increased.
Reasons for Breast Augmentation Surgeries
This procedure is typically done to augment breasts that are small, underdeveloped or have shrunk after birth..
- The small size of the breasts causes trouble in the person’s body perception and self-confidence.
- Disproportion between hip and chest size
- Breast shrinkage, sagging or loosening after birth
- Breast shrinkage and deformities after weight gain and loss
- Asymmetry between two breasts (such as one big and one small)
Considerations Before Breast Augmentation Surgery
Preoperative breast examination must be performed. In dangerous situations or in people over 40, breast ultrasonography and mammography should be evaluated and a decision should be made for the operation.
At What Age Is Breast Augmentation Surgery Performed?
It is recommended after the age of 18 when breast tissue completes its development. Well over 50 years old; It can be done as long as he is in good health. However, if the asymmetrical and problematic breasts in which one breast is highly developed in adolescence and the other breast does not develop creates serious psychological problems for the person, it is possible to perform breast augmentation surgery at an earlier age with the consent of the parents.
Types of Breast Augmentation Surgery
Prostheses used for breast augmentation are placed in the breast volume with 4 different techniques. Prosthesis placement procedure is performed by entering through the nipple, breast fold, 3-4 cm incisions made under the armpit or through the navel. The pocket prepared under the breast for prosthesis can be prepared under the breast tissue (subglandular-upper muscle) or under the breast muscle under the breast tissue.
Shape of Breast Prosthesis
It is divided into two main groups as round prosthesis and drop model prosthesis. Drop model prostheses take the shape of a normal breast better, the nipple and the part under it are fuller. It is especially preferred in cases where there is little breast tissue. These prostheses are produced in different width, length and height combinations. When determining the size of the prosthesis to be used to enlarge a breast, the structure, height, weight and body dimensions of the person’s breast and rib cage are taken into consideration. Provided that these physiological limits are not forced, the patient and the doctor decide on the size and shape of the prosthesis to be used together. During the surgery, the plastic surgeon evaluates the appearance for the last time by putting the test prosthesis before placing the prosthesis. Sometimes a size larger or smaller size of the planned prosthesis is also tried, and whichever gives the best result, that prosthesis is used.
Anesthesia Method and Duration Used in Breast Augmentation Surgeries
Operations are performed in a hospital environment under general anesthesia. The operation time is between 1-3 hours depending on the technique and scope of the surgery. At the end of the operation, dressing is applied to the breasts and a bra is used. Special bra without underwire is beneficial in edema and pain control. The person can stand up a few hours after the operation, and is discharged the next day. Spending the night in the hospital is beneficial in terms of the position of the bed, pain control and close monitoring of possible complications.
Recovery Process After Breast Augmentation Surgery
After surgery, the pain can be easily controlled with medication and disappears on the first or second day. Surgery scars will fade over time and will become vague after 6 months – 1 year. Mild swelling and color changes in the breasts will disappear within a few days. In the first week after surgery, the chest is bigger and more tense than it is. Over time, it returns to its real size and softens. After 3-5 days, you can take a shower and start work. After the operation, a check-up should be made at periods determined by the doctor (such as 1, 3, 6 months). Tapes or ointments can be used to help the incision scar heal smoothly. The incision scar will take its final form in an average year and will turn into skin color..
Points to Consider After Breast Augmentation Surgery
- They can take walks, but sports that require intense effort and force the chest muscles (such as tennis, swimming) should be postponed for 6-8 weeks.
- Patients can usually return to work within a few days, but it is recommended not to drive for 1 week, not to lift heavy things for 3 weeks and not to move their arms up.ir.
- YSweating should be avoided during the first 15 days when wound healing is intense.
- The bra recommended by your doctor should be used during exercise.
- It is recommended to protect the breast from direct sun for 4-6 weeks. In particular, the incision scar should be protected from the sun with 50 factor sunscreen or tape, otherwise the scar will turn darker.
- Breast prosthesis does not prevent pregnancy. Breastfeeding can be done without any negative situation..
- Before mammography checks, the technician who made the shoot should be informed. Shooting should be done accordingly. It is not affected by breast prosthesis, MRI and computed tomography, and films can be easily interpreted by the radiologist.
- Silicone breast prostheses do not have an expiration date. However, due to the cycles and changes in women’s life, size and location change may be demanded. If the size is to be changed, the prostheses are definitely replaced with new ones.
- Bras with wire support (underwire) underneath should not be used for at least 3 months.
- Emporary changes such as loss of sensation in the nipple may be felt; however, it is temporary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since the implant is not placed in the area where the milk glands are in breast augmentation surgery, you can breastfeed after this operation.